Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Chris Cendana- At Last

Everyone has heard this timeless classic by Etta James. It's probably the most played song at a wedding for the the first dance between the husband and wife. The intro of the song depicts the feeling of love found at last and the sensation of fluttering which were created by an orchestra of violins. As soon as those violins start to play, it's not hard to recognize and realize that Etta James is about to sing those famous first lyrics "Aaaat Laaaasst!"

This song has been covered by many artists over the years and Etta James is certainly no stranger to that category. The version of At Last that we have all come to know and love is actually of cover itself. The song was originally performed by Glenn Miller and His Orchestra. Etta James got a hold of the song, added violin accompaniment to her powerful and soulful voice, and the rest is history.

Like I said, there have been many covers of this song and I have listened to my fair share but as I stopped to recall the ones I listened to, I never really heard a cover performed by a male. It has always been female vocalist that covered this song such as Kelly Clarkson, Beyonce, and the countless others on YouTube. Part of me is to blame for not ever having listened to a cover performed by a male. At Last was one of those songs that I considered only singable by women since I felt they only had the vocals to best match the emotion and power of Etta James.

Chris Cendana's cover definitely proves me wrong in that. He sings the song with such smoothness but also delivers those few notes in the song with power. His arrangement and composition of the song on acoustic guitar is also beautifully done. There's no heavy strumming which would have taken away the elegance from the song. Instead, a simple picking pattern is played with an occasional light strumming but it mostly picking. Chris Cendana really did an amazing job with this cover from his vocals to his instrumental arrangement. I'm definitely going to be checking out more of his videos on YouTube. Enjoy!



Original:
At Last by Etta James
http://youtu.be/S-cbOl96RFM

No comments:

Post a Comment