Sunday, April 21, 2013

Filter- Happy Together

So I'm pretty sure everyone has heard this version of Happy Together from The Great Gatsby trailer.When I heard it in the trailer it immediately caught my attention. The original song by The Turtles is upbeat, light and happy type of song. It's simple to sing along to and sort of embodies 1960's innocent carefree lifestyle.

Now Filter's version is the exact opposite of that. The beginning is slow-paced, I mean really slow. The singer is practically enunciating every single syllable as if trying to teach someone who doesn't speak English to at least mimic the sounds. Ok, maybe not that slow but it still slow. Although, the slow tempo is what makes it so good. It makes it sound darker and more psychotic. It actually sounds like the song is about a extremely psychotic and "love-sick" individual is singing (stalking) the one he loves/admires from afar but this person wants nothing to do with him or even knows he exists. It really felt like he was singing this while looking through the window of this girl, it was just that creepy but good. The delivery of the way they song is sung actually was able to change the entire meaning of the song altogether. I really don't know any other song that has done that but Filter has definitely succeeded in that area.

However, the chorus sections get a little too hardcore for my tastes. Some people might enjoy it but I didn't care for it much. I really just liked the verses and that's about it.



Original:
Happy Together by The Turtles
http://youtu.be/LFyTHc9IgKU

No comments:

Post a Comment