Thursday, April 4, 2013

James Hill-Billie Jean

I may have spoken to soon when I wrote that Jake Shimabukuro was the best ukulele player I've ever heard.  James Hill can definitely hold his own against Jake Shimabukuro in a ukulele contest. Better yet, how awesome would it be if they combined their amazing ukulele skills to create a song so awesome it's mind-blowing!? For now, we have to enjoy their talents separately and that's not bad at all.

James Hill covers Michael Jackson's Billie Jean in this video. He starts off light in this cover with some hammering. When he gets into the intro of the song, it begins to sound familiar and a few audience members quickly recognize the riff. Little by little he adds more into the song until it's almost impossible to ignore what tune he is playing. The audience react in disbelief and amazement as they realize it's Billie Jean. I feel that they also can't believe that he is able to play this song on just a ukulele and is able to recreate the drum, guitar, and bass part from the original. I've never in my life heard a ukulele played like that and I know I had a look of amazement on my face as a watched this video.

It really is such a fun and unique cover. Also, not only is this covered by a ukulele but James Hill just doesn't sing the lyrics, he speaks them! Yup, that right, it's a spoken word ukulele cover. Enjoy!



Original: 
Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
http://youtu.be/75sx7U6dAB4

No comments:

Post a Comment