Sunday, March 10, 2013

Phantom Planet- Somebody's Baby

Who knew that Phantom Planet had another song besides "California" which was featured in the opening credits of The O.C. For all you die hard Phantom Planet fans (cause I'm sure there's so many) you would probably enjoy this post. Now, I'm only kidding with all the jokes...maybe, but Phantom Planet is a decent band. They definitely do not get the exposure and credit they deserve.

"Somebody's Baby" is probably most recognized as the song in Fast Times at Ridgemont High. I know that's where I heard the song for first time. It was originally sung by Jackson Browne whose style consists of soft rock/folk with elements of country. However, Phantom Planet's cover is more fast-paced and in your face. Of course, it plays to their style of alternative rock.

This is one of my favorite songs and instantly fell in love with it when I heard it in the movie but when I heard that Phantom Planet did a cover of it I was a bit wary. Since I loved the original so much I was afraid they were not going to do it justice and possibly just ruin it. To my surprise I loved the cover more than original. I love how it's more fast-paced, the drums are more intense, and has more of a rock feel to it. And when I say "rock feel" it's more based off my generation's definition of "rock." The only downside to this cover is that it does not include that awesome piano intro/riff. Besides that it's a great cover and now Phantom Planet has two songs to their set list! Just kidding! Enjoy!



Original:
"Somebody's Baby"- Jackson Browne
http://youtu.be/M6pT_BDpnog

No comments:

Post a Comment